Soon we will be entering the year 2017. Before taking a look at what we might expect in the new year, let’s take a look at 2016.
2016 was a very active year, although it didn’t start out that way. It was for us a normal year until March when we bought ourselves a new (for us) 2013 Ford Fiesta. While a great car, it was God’s miraculous hand in our getting it that really stood out. But that is not the subject of today’s blog.
Instead we are looking at T&R Independent Books, our adventure in self-publishing.
Here is how 2016 unfolded:
- August/September – T&R Independent Books bought the publishing rights to Perished. This was the foundational book of The World That Was series.
- October – T&R Independent Books published the rewritten and reformatted Perished. This was the publisher’s first novel.
- November – Perished was placed in the KDP Select program.
- December – T&R Independent Books published Noah and the Ark, book two of The World That Was series.
- December – T&R Independent Books began seriously getting ready to publish Tress Riddle’s debut novel sometime in January 2017.
As can be seen T&R Independent Books has had a rush of activities in the latter half of the year. It has truly been an exciting and busy year. Behind the scenes Tress Riddle has been working on her first novel, a mystery aimed at teens and young adults.
Also during this past year we have witnessed an explosion politically thinking. In Britain they had the Brexit vote and in America we had the rise of Donald Trump. In both cases the average citizens revolted against the political elite demanding that they be heard and represented.
Whatever you may think of President-elect Trump he was wise enough to hear the rumblings and tap into them. Here are a few reflections:
- November – Donald Trump won the national election for President of the United States.
- November – Uninformed men and women took to the streets and rioted in protest. This represented a national disgrace in our education system as the protestors showed their ignorance of the United States government. (We are a representative democracy, not a pure democracy where popular vote dominates.)
- November – 3rd party candidate pushed for meaningless but costly recounts. Results were essentially the same.
- December – Trump begins assembling cabinet showing that he actually intended to keep his campaign promises.
- December – Trump won the Electoral College vote.
If I was writing on political issues I would spend some time addressing the lack of knowledge some people have demonstrated. As mentioned, our country is a representative democracy – a fact our citizens should have learned in high school! It was so designed to prevent large populous states from ruling the country (there are only four or six states that fit that bill) and from anarchy that often comes from pure democracy.
However, this is a blog on writing, so let’s move on.
I am really proud and excited about the achievements of T&R Independent Books! Founded in 2014 by my wife and myself, T&R had to withstand my heart attack and much foundational matters for the fledgling business. But 2016 has been a breakout year for the business.
I have now had three books published by T&R Independent books: So You Want to Write? (2015), Perished (2016), and Noah and the Ark (2016). In the meantime, my wife has been working hard on her debut novel which will soon (probably January) be published.
So what are my predictions for 2017?
Here’s a list of possibilities:
- Publication of Tress Riddle’s debut novel.
- Rewrite and publish So You Want to Write? with new material.
- Write and publish book 3 of The World That Was.
- Tress Riddle’s second novel published.
These represent another active year for the Riddle family. Sandwiched in-between are a variety of marketing events. Plus a renewed commitment to this blog.
I am seriously looking into adding video blogs to this blog. I plan to explore the idea of interviewing other authors, plus have videos on writing techniques and aids. I have the capability, but it comes down to cost versus effectiveness.
We wish all of you a happy New Year.
– – – – – – –
R Frederick Riddle is the author of several books. For more information on him visit his Amazon Authors Page. He is also co-founder and Vice President of T&R Independent Books where his books are featured in greater detail.