Welcome to Ron’s Tip of the Day. Throughout the week I will share a tip with you. This is an experiment in microblogging. Let me know how I’m doing. Today I am looking at Word Usage.
Word usage is an important but probably overlooked ingredient of a successful story. Here are some thoughts.
- Short words tend to speed up a story
- Long words tend to slow down a story
- Some words are more difficult to understand; use clear, concise words
- Some words have different meanings in different contexts
- Some words are more difficult to pronounce than others
- Use verbs and adverbs wisely (check grammar book)
- Don’t use long sentences unless necessary
- Short sentences tend to speed up a story
- Normally try to stay at or below 8 sentences in a paragraph
- Check your spelling
Tip of the Day : Watch your word usage, including grammar and spelling.
For information on TR Writing Services (“we edit, proof, and publish the book within you”) contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Free booklet tells you about our services. And we are upfront on our prices (all are low).
VISIT MY AUTHOR’S PAGE TODAY: amazon.com/author/rfrederickriddle.
ARE YOU A BOOK REVIEWER? I am always looking for book reviews for R. Frederick Riddle and Tess Riddle books. I value your reviews.
If you would like to review our books contact me at email@example.com with the subject line indicating that desire. An example of an appropriate subject line would be: ‘Seek to review [book Title].’ In the email make sure to indicate your email address, your name, and the choice of copy (PDF or Epub).
– – – – – – –
R Frederick Riddle is the Editor of TR Writing Services providing help to struggling and/or new authors to write and publish their books. In addition, he is best known for Christian Historical and Speculative Fiction. He is also co-founder and Vice President of T&R Independent Books where his books are featured. To reply to any blog you have the option of commenting on a blog and/or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also be interested in his Facebook page at RFrederickRiddlesWorld.