Monday through Friday I deal with different subjects in this blog. I also post my blog to my Facebook page at RFrederickRiddlesWorld. Today I am writing about the Author’s Resources Part 4 of the series which deals with the author’s website SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. Once it was an unknown term; now practically anyone who has a website has probably heard of SEO. But while better known it still remains somewhat unappreciated.
Why is SEO Important?
We live in a world where search engines are used by millions of people every day. They are valuable tools. We all have our favorites. Some people like Bing, some like Google, others like Yahoo, and so forth.
As an author I love Google Search. With it I have looked up space travel, warp drive, medical equipment, Ross 128 b, Abraham of the Bible, Jacob, and more. I have found it an invaluable tool!
But what about people looking for me? That’s what SEO is all about, helping you and me to be found. With millions, perhaps billions, of people on the Web it is increasingly hard to find the people, business, and answers we need. SEO is the answer to that problem.
How Does SEO Work?
The best way to answer that is for you to step back and look at what you need and how you go about finding answers. I would guess that one of your first steps is to go to Search and type in what you imagine is a common word or phrase associated with your quest.
For example, you may type in the name: R Frederick Riddle. You hit enter and a whole slew of information about me will come up. That is SEO at work. There are several things I do to optimize my SEO. Let’s take a look at some of the ways I get my name out there.
- Regular Web Updates
- I frequently update content on my computer.
- I also add new items such as new books that I’ve authored.
- Every time I update my website I am refreshing the data and the bots out there come to check me out.
- Use of Key Words or Phrases
- I originally used only single words
- But I’ve learned that a string of words (phrase) is better
- You want words that people might use to find you
- Generally speaking you want words or phrases that are in your content
- Linking my blog, social media and web page.
- You don’t want those purchased links that are often illegal
- You want natural links, such as links from your blog to your website. Take a look at this page where you will find links to my Facebook page, my website, my Amazon Authors Page, and my email.
- Internal links (between pages) are also fine
These are just three ideas. There are many more. If you’re a novice you may want to seek out books, blogs, etc. on the topic.
What’s the Difference Between Onsite SEO and Personal Promotion?
My understanding is that Onsite SEO is in relationship to your webpage while personal promotion would be Social Media, etc. While separate they are connected to one another; both need your continuing attention.
What Are Some SEO Ideas?
- Website Name should be Unique. For example the use of your name in the Url
- Easily remembered Urls
- Use of Image linking (click on image takes person to website)
- What are your competitors Using? (if relevant you might want to use for yourself)
- Links to other blogs
- External links from blogs, etc. to you
SEO doesn’t guarantee success, but it is believed to be essential to success!
ARE YOU A BOOK REVIEWER? I am always looking for book reviews. Whether it is Perished The World That Was (Book One), World of Noah and the Ark (Book Two), World of Shem (Book Three), World of Abraham (Book Four) or Death Ship (Book One), Pauline A New Home (Book Two), or Task Force Hunter (Book Three), I value your reviews.
If you would like to review any of these books contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line indicating that desire. An example of an appropriate subject line would be: ‘Seek to review [book Title].’ In the email make sure to indicate your email address, your name, and the choice of copy (PDF or ePub).
– – – – – – –
R Frederick Riddle is the author of several books and is best known for Christian Historical Fiction. For more information on him or his books visit his Amazon Authors Page. He is also co-founder and Vice President of T&R Independent Books where his books are featured. To reply to any blog you have the option of commenting on a blog and/or sending an email to email@example.com. You may also be interested in his Facebook page at RFrederickRiddlesWorld.