John Dickinson (1732-1808) was a Revolutionary General, Signer of the Constitution, Governor of Delaware, and Governor of Pennsylvania. More importantly he was a professing Christian. Listen to these words provided to us by Wall Builders:
- Rendering thanks to my Creator for my existence and station among His works, for my birth in a country enlightened by the Gospel and enjoying freedom, and for all His other kindnesses, to Him I resign myself, humbly confiding in His goodness and in His mercy through Jesus Christ for the events of eternity.
- [Governments] could not give the rights essential to happiness… We claim them from a higher source: from the King of kings, and Lord of all the earth.
Known as the “Penman of the Revolution” because of his twelve letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania, Dickinson was very involved with the revolution and the establishment of a new nation. Consider:
- Member of Continental Congress.
- Signee to Continental Association.
- Drafted 1774 Petition to the King.
- Member of 2nd Continental Congress.
- Wrote Olive Branch Petition (to the king).
- Wrote final draft of Declaration of Causes and Necessity of taking Up Arms.
- Wrote the Model Treaty.
- Wrote first draft of Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union.
- Member of 1786 Annapolis Convention calling for Constitutional Convention of 1787.
Dickinson’s religious affiliation was Quaker, Episcopalian. In his Last Will and Testament, he wrote: Rendering Thanks to my Creator for my Existence and Station among his works, for my Birth in a Country enlightened by the Gospel and enjoying Freedom, and for all his other Kindnesses, to him I resign Myself, humbly confiding in his Goodness, and in his Mercy through Jesus Christ, for the Events of Eternity
This was a man who practiced his faith. He had strong views and he put them into action even at the risk of life and limb. We owe a debt to men such as he!
– – – – – – –
R Frederick Riddle is the author of several books and is best known for Christian Historical Fiction. For more information on him or his books visit his Amazon Authors Page. He is also co-founder and Vice President of T&R Independent Books where his books are featured. To reply to any blog you have the option of commenting on a blog and/or sending an email to email@example.com. You may also be interested in his Facebook page at RFrederickRiddlesWorld.